To know the reason of this error, first, open the Windows PowerShell by right-clicking on the windows start button and then click on the “Windows PowerShell” or open the command prompt by using the “Windows+ R” and type “cmd” in the Run dialog box. Now the command prompt will open.
Now try to install any package by typing the command;
pip install pandas
You will encounter the following error if you are using the Windows PowerShell.
The term ‘pip’ is not recognized as the name of cmdlet, function, or operable program.
To solve this error first close your command prompt and go to the directory where you have installed your python.
- If you are unable to find your python installed directory then the simple solution is that uninstall your python and install it again in a folder from where you can get easily. You can install in program file or simply in C drive.
- After finding your python directory go to your PC settings by right-clicking on “This PC” then click on settings.
- Go to “Advanced System Settings” A dialog box with the name “System properties” will appear.
- Go to “Environment variables” in the bottom right corner of the dialog box.
- Go to “User variables” and select “Path”.
- Click on the “Edit” button. An “Edit environment variable” window will open.
- Click on the “New” button.
- Go to the directory where you have installed your python. Go to “Scripts” and copy the path of this folder and paste it in the “New” tab that you have opened in step 6.
- Now copy your python folder path by following the instructions in steps 6 and 7 in the “Edit Environment Variable”.
- Click on the “Ok” button to close the dialog boxes.
Now your error has been solved.