There are certain things that webmasters do, not because the site will break if they don't, but to improve the overall performance of the web pages once they are launched. For example, a website will never break for lack of meta descriptions. However, the failure to use these minor details can greatly affect his position in the search.
If you've done a site update, it's important to make sure that all old URLs are redirected to the new ones. Keeping your new site structure running smoothly will go a long way in keeping your pages at the top of the search engine rankings. Using a 301 redirect will pass the link weight to the new URLs, ensuring you keep the top ranking.
All outgoing links must also be verified. You can use an online tool to do this quickly and efficiently. If you don't do adequate testing and redirects, you will get a lot of broken links after updating your site. Your site should be search engine optimized.
I will cover a few things you need to do to rank your webpages high in search.
- Create a robots.txt file in which you include all files and directories that you do not want to be indexed by search engines.
- Avoid using more than one H1 tag on the same page.
- Make sure all images you add to your site have alt attributes. Add a concise and natural description to your images.
- For all pages that you want to index on Google, add a short and relevant meta description. Don't add keywords to your meta description, as this can have a negative impact on your rankings. A good meta description will improve your CTR in search results.
- If you have pages with non-unique content, use the nofollow / noindex tag.
- Make sure you use canonical links in your pages.
- All pages must have a descriptive and appropriate heading element. Avoid long and boring headlines to improve your CTR. Don't fill your page titles with too many keywords as this could jeopardize your rankings.
- Create an XML sitemap for your site and add the URL to your robots.txt file.
- If you've developed your site with WordPress, make sure search engines index your site in the privacy settings section.
- Change your permalink settings to make your URLs user-friendly and search engine friendly.
Make sure you check your website for compatibility with all popular browsers. Remember that people use different browsers, including Internet Explorer, to access your site.
Eliminate any issues your users might encounter when accessing the site in a different browser. Most importantly, make sure the site is responsive. Responsive web design will not only add convenience to your users, but also increase the ranking of your site. Responsive web pages are popular with search engines because they are considered to offer the best UX.
Website development is a responsible process, which consists of many stages and a large number of features that require attention, the neglect of which will negatively affect the site's ranking.